Friday, April 13, 2007

Latest News

Well, he left earlier than expected and now gets to stay 15 months. I was actually geared up for 18, so the 15 months really wasn't that hard to take. I figure if I can do 12 months, 3 more months I can do standing on my head...lol. I've been reading the forums on Military.com and there is a lot of complaining by both the military members and spouses. I can't blame them...the back to back tours, leaving early for the surge, and now this has got to be wearing thin on everyone. But we can't let it get to us. I figure the best thing I can do is keep that smile in my voice when we speak and work to keep his spirits up. I love making him laugh and when I hear that, I know I've brought a bit of sunshine into his day.

Now one thing that disturbs me is the fact that the different branches are putting each other down because the Air Force for example is not getting extended tours. For on branch to compare the mission they do with another is just silly. The Army handles the ground...the Air Force handles mainly logistics and Air Support. Every branch has their own jobs and missions. It's like comparing apples to oranges. I think we have enough strife in our lives without fighting amongst our military branches.

We need to keep our mind on the mission..whatever that is...as everyones job is vital to the overall picture....not the amount of time you are deployed. It's called making the best of the situation and getting the job done. Enough said on that topic.

I would like to send a message to our Administration. Cutting the funding of our troops in order to force the President's hand on a withdrawal date is the most idiotic plan I've heard to date. We need support the troops that are over there. Cut their funding? Do they want that blood on their hands?

A planned withdrawal date? Again, what are they thinking. Why don't we just let them know all the things we are doing so they can be sure to prepare. Shall we send the insurgents engraved invitations and perhaps plan a reception for them as well?

I don't agree with this war but we are in it for the long haul whether we like it or not. The best thing we can do back here at home is support the men and women who are giving their all. Leave the military stratagy to those with the experience to deal with it.

Just my thoughts,
Laura Roberts

No comments: